Grow the Community
Community Photo and Fundraiser
Join Us for a Photo Op
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 join us as we re-open our doors to the public and initiate a community-wide fundraiser for local food supplier Grow Calgary.
We are inviting the public to come to Prince's Island Park for a historical photo along side local restaurateurs and community leaders. The photo is to capture Calgary’s community spirit, and will be used to honor the efforts of the volunteers to rebuild Calgary after the Alberta floods.
"On behalf of everyone at River Café we are enormously grateful for the tremendous out pouring of support from so many in our community and beyond,” states owner of River Café Sal Howell. “In thanks, we would like to gather friends and family around us at River Café and give something meaningful back to our community by championing a wonderful urban agriculture initiative, Grow Calgary.”
What: A 15-minute Community-wide photo with hundreds of public expected, including local restaurants, suppliers, and community leaders
Where: River Café, Prince’s Island Park
When: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 12:15pm
All attendees of the community photo will receive a signature sparkling refreshment and food sampling complimentary of River Café. Tourism Calgary will also be on-site promoting “YYC is OPEN” for their community wide campaign.
Donate to Grow Calgary and Win a Prize
Following River Café’s mandate of supporting local and sustainable farming, donations are being collected and contributed to Calgary’s newest urban farming initiative – Grow Calgary. Grow Calgary is the largest volunteer-based, urban garden in Canada and all fresh produce which is grown from its garden is donated to the Calgary Food Bank. Donations from this campaign will be used to buy seeds, plants, and farm equipment. Donations are currently being accepted online through Fundrazer here -->
Those who donate will be entered to win prize pack that includes:
- Cooking Class gift certificate from Cookbook Co.
- Gift from Knifewear
- Dinner for two with wine pairings at Vin Room
- Picnic for two from River Café, inlcuding wicker picnic hamper and blanket to keep
- Sunday Supper for two at Boxwood
- Gift from Charcut
- Gift Cards from Il Sogno
- Party Pack of 100 oysters and shucking knife from Meta4foods.com
- Gift from Planet Foods
- Gift from Wild Rose Brewery
- An overnight stay at the Post Hotel
- Gift Certificate from Teatro
- Gift Certificate from NOtaBLE
- Gift Basket including bread knife, noble maple, granola and bread from Sidewalk Citizen Bakery
- Gift Certificate from Taste
- Gift from Nefiss Lezizz
- Gift from Mercato Gourmet
- Dinner for two from Rouge
- Gelato For a Year from Fiasco Artisan Gelato
- Gift Card from J. Webb Wine Merchant
- Gift from Papa Chocolat
- Gift from Telus
Prize winners will be chosen at random and will be announced via River Café’s twitter (@RiverCafeYYC) on Friday August 16, 2013.
On the same day, a select number of local restaurants and suppliers will donate 5% of their total sales to the Grow Calgary initiative. Some of the following establishments will be participating:
To find out what other restaurants are participating follow @RiverCafeYYC on Twitter or Hashtag #FloodOfSupport.